Sunday, July 19, 2009

Breaking Free From Emotional Eating Book Review


It's been about two weeks or so since I read Breaking Free From Emotional Eating by Geneen Roth. If you google "emotional eating" this book shows up on the first page of results. You would think that it would be a great source for dealing with emotional eating.

But all it is is a ridiculous approach void of any information on how to deal with emotions. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that her approach won't work--obviously it has for her and some of those who have worked with her.

What is her approach? Well, eat all you want any time you feel hungry. I find that interesting because sometimes I feel hungry and instead of going for instant gratification, I might let ten minutes pass by and holy cow, I forget about food and have no desire for food, but if I had eaten when I felt hungry then it might have triggered more desire for more and more food.

The irony is that I use a similar approach with the power of suggestion which is that, "I eat whatever and whenever I desire and am amazed how easy I fill up on flavor and taste and feel fulfilled within."

She misses the qualifier "amazed that I fill up on flavor and taste."

The bottom line though is that she simply jumped on the bandwagon of using the phrase "emotional eating," in her title. The book was previously published as Breaking Free from Compulsive Eating.

I find that there is no real direction in her book about how to deal with emotions--how to deal with the denial of emotions, how to embrace them, how to experience them, how to rereference yourself.

As a source for dealing with emotional eating I would not recommend it. As a book to read for shedding weight, I would not recommend it either.

Tomorrow I'll look at The Taming of the Chew

Take the emotional eater quiz? Click here.

Want to a cure for emotional binge eating and discover how to identify emotions, embrace them and feel them? You can purchase the, The Scale Conspiracy, (in e-book form) emotional eating now for only $14.95. It's a $39.00 value.
















No comments: